> Unfortunately a few people got a rare and potentially fatal blood disorder
> (eosinophilia) from a batch of Tryptophan which I believe was made in
> Mexico.

It was from Japan.  Company's name escapes me. (can't pronouce it or
spell it).  They were a food additives company, and not a pharmacutical
company.  They were the worst poluters in Japan (they were the one that
dumped all that mercury in a bay resulting of tremendous birth defects
of people that ate the local fish).  They reduced the amount of post
production filtering (not a radical step) and used a different strain of
bacteria to make the tryptophan more efficienctly (not a radical step).
However the result was an unwanted chemical in the batch that caused the
problems.  Note: ONLY the US banned tryptophan, guess what prescription
medication that substitiuted for tryptophan got rave reviews and
magazine articles, talk show buzz, etc. within weeks of the ban?  Same
prescription drug that a goodly number of people that "go postal" were
on.(Columbine etc.)  What a coincidence eh?  Love that FDA......
--
Webpage back again at http://home.earthlink.net/~kenseger
A small collection of fundamental survival texts.