You are likely comparing apples and oranges there.  Mercury in some
forms is almost non-toxic, such as the liquid metal, and in other forms, such as dimethylmercury a whiff, or even a drop of it on the skin for a second can kill you. You have to know what compound of mercury we are talking about. 15 micrograms of dimethylmercury would most likely kill a baby.

Take a look at http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/dimethylmercury/dmmh.htm to see just how poisonous mercury CAN be.

Marshall

Marshall:

I guess that explains why I am still alive. I often wondered about that. When we were kids we used to play with liquid mercury which was readily available in our grammar school science cabinet (no lock or anything). Rolled it around in our palms, etc. Were not dumb enough to swallow any.

Come to think about it, the science room back then was a very dangerous place. I did nearly die when I touched the terminals of an electric arc machine that I thought was turned off. It wasn't. Knocked me cold and second degree burns on my hands. Fortunately for me, another student had the presence of mind to pull the plug.

Del