On Thu, 15 Jul 1999 00:02:32 -0400, Jim <j...@glol.net> wrote:

>Not to split hairs, but it is amperage that kills, not voltage.  There have
>been some statements in the past on this list about being careful when using
>high voltage such as the 10000 volt systems.  While it is very true one must
>be careful, it is a bit misleading to link danger to voltage.  Most people are
>killed with "safe" lower voltages, as there was not enough limitation to
>amperage.  A series of little batteries cannot create enough amperage to do
>much harm, but a series of car batteries might get dangerous.

Yeah, I think you're splitting hairs.
I believe it's been told that 3 milliamps can fillibrate the heart and
cause death. Certainly ten 9 volt batteries in series (90 volts) can
push 3 ma thru the skin if wet.
The point I was making is that in this era of transistorized an
intergrated circuit equipment, one seldom runs across voltages higher
than about 30v. You really have to be determined to get shocked with
30v so we tend to get real casual handling electronic circuits.
A little above 30v (maybe 40v) you should be paying attention (or you
WILL be paying attention). We were talking about a 100+v power supply,
it WILL bite if you turn your back to it.
You're right, probably won't kill you, been bit lots of times, but it
CAN.
Don't kid yourself about those dinky 9v batteries. Start snapping them
together in series and wiping the free terminals across your tongue.
How many before you're "bit"?
                                                Chuck

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.