The max pressure on the side of a tire is relative to the load rating of the tire as that relates to deflection and sidewall flex. 2,500 pound load @ 45 PSI..for instance.

To get the proper pressure for *that* tire on *your* car, park of a flat hard surface and inflate the tire till the edges of the tread surface just clear the pavement for a good balance between center wear on the straight road and edge wear on the corners. Keep a close eye on tread wear. Center getting thin? Too much pressure. Edges getting thin? Not enough. Sticking packing tape across the tread will tell you exactly where the rubber is coming off within a few miles to tweek alignment toe in, camber and pressure just right. [Sometimes the alignment shop specs are off ]

Ode

Many mechanics tend to under-inflate tires because they, or the manufacturer, feel that you will like the softer ride. The recommended pressure from the car companies is usually never as much pressure as that indicated on the tire itself. At least that is my experience. I always inflate to the rated pressure on the tire.

Dan

List maintainer: Mike Devour <mdev...@eskimo.com>