You ran full current past it's range or through the shunt like a short circuit [parallel, not series] and blew out the fuse in the meter. There are generally 2 current range sockets on a meter, one up to around 200 milliamps and another for up to 10 amps.

Checking current MUST be a series hook up with both leads on [+] *or* [-] with a break in one wire.
Voltage is a parallel hook up.....one lead on [+] *and* one on [-]

Open up the back and replace the fuse.

ode