I used to work for a horse vet, and he told me that it is a potent solvent, which is why it is so useful as a topical agent to carry medications for horses and other animals. He suggested I use gloves to handle it, as it carries lots of things inside the body with it when it goes, and he felt it was necessary to clean the area of the animals skin well before applying it. Since he had the practical experience dealing with it on a daily basis, I believe him, I feel no need to read up on it since I have no plans to use it at this time.

If you understand how solvents work, it is not just dependent on the molecule size, but often on an oil/water basis, on occasion it is on an acid/ base difference. Substances dissolve into it. Come to think of it, it is probably water based, since we cleaned up with water, so it may be dependent on the acid base balance, not sure. I am not sure I believe that statement about molecule size, it may be just a theory about how it works, similar to the candida theories, which are dicey. I felt the candida people really had no sound basis for their beliefs about how it worked or some of the protocol, but enough of it worked that people felt some relief. In point of fact, many infections that are called candida are actually caused by other pathogenic fungi, and some of them produce potent toxins that can be disabling. Anyway, I usually take some convincing before I will admit that a theory is correct, even if the protocol works. The outcomes are often, in my opinion, not so relevant to the theory of how it works. We humans love to have explanations for things, and are very creative in coming up with them- which is a good thing. Only in refining the theories by trial and error do we usually come to know something.

Kathryn