Yes, maybe. I remember in the years before flu shots, there was usually only one strain that hit every year, once in a while, there was 2, but not usually. I think that has not changed much.

I had one flu shot bu the Environmental Allergy Dr- it was one drop, under the skin of my forearm. He used it as a test to see how my immune response was working. Over the next 2 days, it turned bright red, the size of a quarter. It didn't hurt. It did give me the protection of a big flu shot, however, and it did show that my immune response was ok. He said that I probably did not ever need to get another flu shot for that particular bug.