I use Black Walnut in capsules, so I open them up.   The recipe I was given
is 12 capsules per pound of braunshweiger (bulk sausage).  I use raw
hamburger for my dogs instead.   Divide it into 26 balls, freeze and give
one ball per day.  When I'm lazy, I just open a capsule and pour some
(partial capsule)  onto his food and mix it in and use the rest of the herb
in the capsule another day.   The 12 capsules can be 4 garlic, 4 black
walnut and 4 pumpkin seed too.  I've used black walnut and garlic on all my
dogs, all sizes.  Not one has had heartworms and I've never put them on any
medication as a preventative.  Hope this helps.