Nano this, nano that...

Nano is merely a size designation, similar to the inch, though much smaller. It seems to me like the hype about the nano tech is the idea of creating such tiny machines using chemical interactions as the main mechanism.... I thought that the decrease in size in the computers is due to miniturization, which led to the idea of using chemical interactions to see if they could be used in some way or other. The carbon molecular structures are one thing that comes to mind.

Any ion is going to be very small, the smallest individual unit that exists of any element. Nano size or not, I would have to look up the exact definition for that size. As Dee pointed out, whatever we are making is mostly ionic silver suspended in water, nothing smaller is possible.

Everytime you put salt in water you have ions dissolved. Does that make salt water nanotech?

The bona fide nano chemistry and tech is something that is experimental and most people probably don't do that at home. However, it is possible that people are using nanotech as an advertising ploy.

kathryn