As with eliminating mercury from Vaccines after proving that it's not the "mercury" that causes Autism, a change does not have to be based on fact to develop public pressure that the FDA knuckles under to.
Ie:  Changing a policy, does not prove that anyone was lying.

It means that the FDA sees itself [true or not] to be a public servant, subject to the public will...valid, or not...and will knuckle under to public pressure when an alternative is adequately functional.

It proves that pressure works, based in fact or not. [The truth, WHAT EVER it may be... is irrelevant...when the why nots, overwhelm the why tos and the consumer is willing to pay the difference when a somewhat less reliable, more expensive, but adequately functional filling leaks. Pick Mercury content as a reason, valid or not..and there ya go. ]

It has been shown that it's the inflammation from the vaccine that causes Autism, but only in genetically weakened individuals, as would the disease the vaccine is designed to prevent. But that can't be proven because taking the Vaccine prevents the second scenario. On the other hand, not being vaccinated doesn't mean you'll catch a disease, which accounts for statistical differences. On the other other hand, those who do get vaccinated transfer a sort of protection to those who aren't by interrupting the transmission vectors.

Yes, treatments can be dangerous. The question is ALWAYS, is the treatment more or less dangerous that what is being treated?
..and, are there safer alternatives that actually work more reliably?
Sometimes there are, but that's no reason to throw rocks at doctors who labor under threat of lawsuit and unable to try anything out of that *safe legal box*, for not knowing everything under the sun and taking a chance on something relatively more unproven.

A doctor cannot choose something that may not be more reliable, yet might work with less danger.
"YOU" can do that only because suing yourself doesn't pay.

EVERYONE goes by their *best guess*
[and denying ignorance has never equaled knowing anything ]
A guess can work for no known reason at all, in spite of any wrong but irrelevant reasons.

There ARE no absolute truths on this planet..everything is relative in a dualistic universe. Those who insist otherwise are lying in the *same manner* they claim someone else is.

To go "Your way" doesn't require changing everyone elses.
..and billions of people can be just as dead wrong as one person can be.

This was not a victory, it was a pressured vindication, proving only that people in numbers have the same power to manipulate policy that a public office has, regardless of any truths.
"Jim Crow" showed us another, albeit, more starkly consequential example.

Ode