Cyndi writes:
> If everyone would post in plain text there would be no problems.

To which I say, AMEN!!! <LOL!>

Each mailer I've yet seen so far, whether a program that runs on your
machine, or a web-based system you access from your web browser,
provides a way to tell it to compose messages as plain text, leaving
off all the confusing and poorly standardized controls for fonts and
colors, and so on...

Please use it!

Not only will that minimize the risk of other people not being able to
read your messages, but will also vastly reduce the size of your
messages, as well, which will be appreciated by everyone who's still on
dial-up or has a slow machine.

The kibitzing between Wayne and Pat is a marvelous example of why we
all need to be:

Sensitive in what we write...

Thick skinned toward what we read!

It takes time and care to write so that people receive the meaning and
tone you intend to project. Always re-read what you write before
sending, looking for anything that could possibly be misinterpreted --
understanding that misinterpretation is the norm rather than the
exception!

This text-only medium, however you dress up your fonts, still suffers
from very narrow bandwidth when compared to face-to-face or a
conversation via telephone. The people reading your message cannot see
your face, your body language, or hear the tone of your voice. They
cannot recognize the often subtle cues that distinguish humor or a
gentle banter from ridicule and hostility -- or arrogance.

Then, when reading what others write, we really have to pay attention.
Often, as in a couple of these recent messages, the quoting gets
thoroughly confused and it's difficult to know who's saying what, who
they're saying it to, and what they're responding to.

If I have to, when composing, I will cut and past every sentence and
label each one with the name of who wrote it, in order to make sure
everybody reading my message knows what's going on. It's my job as
author to include enough context that my reader can understand.

In every case, it is too easy to see rudness or insult in another's
words, and you need to make a deliberate effort to read them in the
most benign possible voice, in order to counter the inherent harshness
of the medium.

So Wayne, I'd suggest that skimming is fine most of the time, but that
before you hit reply and start typing you'd better read carefully
enough to know what's going on, even if that means reviewing an entire
thread's worth of previous messages in order to get the drift and flow
of the conversation.

And Pat? I think you did an admirable job of resisting the temptation
to take offense for a good while there. You still kinda gave in at the
end, though, didn't you?! <grin>

I notice, too, that you addressed a number of statements toward Wayne,
and also described some of the problems you've seen with message fonts,
but you never did actually ask a question that I saw... Which only
carries us back to the demands of clarity, and writing deliberately and
with care.

And always writing, folks, with care for the *person* at the other end
of that wire. It's a real job to nurture a community and build
friendships in this place -- but worth it, I think.

Peace,

Mike D.
Da list owner guy...