I haven't done reseach on the gel but people say it does work. [I don't make that stuff up ]...and the formula came from someone who used it sucessfully for years on bed sores and such.

From my limited applications tried, I'll generally agree and also never claimed it would work, just that you can make it a lot cheaper than you can buy it already made and have control over what's in it.

I have a few theories why it does work [for those who say it does] when maybe it might not due to a possible lack of free silver ions and being a semi solid that encapsulates particles.

 The gel itself absorbs liquids like mad.
As the surface dries, it wants to replace those liquids and there is one place to replace them from.
"Drawing poultice"
..and whatever alive that gets drawn out, dies.

It is also quite water soluble. " Particulate transport" at the liquid interface. Silver in any form will kill germs, the more surface area [the smaller] , the better, the purer the silver the better.
 There is nothing more pure or smaller than a single ion.

Since it does contain water, silver ions may survive in the gel.
Even if they form molecular compounds with impurities, there may be some sort of ion exchange resin effect at work in the presence of other organic compounds.

Mixing some ground Aluminum into the gel just might make it Very active and loaded with a continuous generation of Silver ions..like a wet Curad Silver bandaid.
Shelf life?  questionable.

Ode

Perhaps Ode has some comment on his gel, whether it's primarily an ionic
or a covalent sort of goop; I've read it works, anyhow.

Take care,  M.