I can't resist adding to what you say. When I visited my brother in a VA hospital following a hip replacement, the lunch they brought him was hot dogs, chips, and jello. I guess he did select those from the "menu" but still, how can those be on a menu supposedly prepared by a trained dietician? Do they get training from Frito-Lay and Hormel? Oh, my brother was allowed ketchup and mustard, LOL. Good thing as the ketchup was his vegetable I guess, just like in school lunches.
sol

Paula wrote:
My mom - age 93 - broke her hip and was in the hospital for a week, then rehab (nursing home) for 5 more weeks. The ONLY thing I ever saw her fed that qualified as food was a banana. I was invited to have dinner with her one night in the dining room because they said she wouldn't eat. Some of the stuff they are feed looks okay until you look closer. What appeared to be a nice-looking piece of ham turned into SPAM. The minute you tried to cut off a piece it turned to mush. That went well with the artificial potatoes, artificial gravy, and pea mush. Jello went with every meal, including breakfast. NO condiments were allowed.