As I recall reading somewhere, the iron in those people's bodies was
sequestered in the cells as a defensive measure by the body, in order
to lower the serum iron levels as much as possible, even to the point
of creating anemia. I don't remember if it was parasites or some other
microbial infection, but low iron levels kept the infection under
control.

Treat the infection(s) effectively and iron levels came back up on
their own soon after as the iron was released from storage. Supplement
iron in a misguided effort to treat their "deficiency," and the
infections flared up and often killed them.

At least that's what I remember.

Be well,

Mike D.