On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 20:34:47 -5
"M. G. Devour" <mdev...@eskimo.com> wrote:

> Right now, I'd say Indi is the one on the hot seat! <grin> Welcome,
> ma'am!

Thanks. Yes, I feel a bit on the hot seat with a couple of people here.
:)

> Meanwhile, folks coming here for basic help and direction should
> receive plenty of support, encouragement, and practical answers they
> can actually use, and not be confronted by a hostile, confrontational
> atmosphere filled with bickering technophiles. <grin>

I don't think of debate as hostility, but I have been reminded recently
that some people do. So your point is a good one. Also I tend to forget
that not everyone is as pedantic as I know can be at times. My "good
enough" sometimes includes a lot of factors most people never think of.

> On a practical level, Indi, I'd suggest a couple of adjustments to
> what you expect from us...
>
> As a member, it's not generally your role to police what other people
> are saying. That's my job. If you feel something is out of line, let
> me know in private and I'll consider your input.
>
> This includes standards for evidence and proof for the things people
> say.

Alright, I can abide by that.

> As list owner, my standards for the group apply here, rather than
> some arbitrary degree of scientific rigor you would prefer.

That is true, it's your list.

> The other expectation I'd hope to see you scale back a little is your
> belief that *anything* we could do here would result in institutional
> acceptance of CS.

Oh, I have already seen and accepted that legitimization is far from a
common desire on this list. And that's fine, I guess I just didn't
anticipate it. There is a lot I didn't expect here, really. But I am
glad to be on this list, there are some really intriguing people and
ideas here, and a lot of experience.

Thanks for the help and the kind words.

Cheers,
indi