Hi folks,

Interesting discussions the last couple of days.

Whenever a new person joins who seems to exhibit a prominent
personality, there's always a period of give and take as the new member
and the rest of the group (including other prominent personalities)
adjust to one another. Neville provides a recent, pretty classic
example that's working out rather well lately! <waves to Neville!>

Right now, I'd say Indi is the one on the hot seat! <grin> Welcome,
ma'am!

I think for Indi and the rest of us to get the most benefit from her
participation, it'd be good to clarify exactly what we're doing here
and what kind of expectations are reasonable.

First of all, we're not professional researchers. We are a bunch of
individuals with varying backgrounds and a shared interest in the
subject of whatever this stuff is that we call "CS." Anecdotal reports
and a few individuals' more careful experiments are the backbone of our
data gathering efforts.

Our greatest resource is that we have accumulated a *lot* of experience
and practical results over the last 10 years, enough that we've been
able to form a general consensus on:

What things do we pretty well know are true?

What things do we know are most likely false?

What things are still open to debate, and what are the major positions?

We have a general definition of at least one kind of CS preparation
that we think is pretty effectivne, safe and economical: Low voltage,
low current density, pure water and silver only, clear, colorless,
faint tyndall effect, 5-15 ppm.

It's not the only way to go, but we consider it a pretty good bet.

Another major point of consensus is that: ionic silver works;
particulate silver works; mixtures of the two work. Despite numeroius
arguments, claims and counter-claims presented over the years,
assertions that either one does *not* work are unconvincing.

So when a new person arrives, searching for information and navigating
all the conflicting claims and propaganda, we can help them by pruning
the tree at least a little, and giving them some better context for
what remains.

Now, to change or influence any part of this consensus is going to
require a lot more than bold assertions and strong opinions! It will
take time, a body of reports and/or experimental results that support
your ideas, and even a (rather casual) form of peer review.

Sounds a little like science, right? However, and this is important,
the minimum standards for publication here are *NOT* anywhere near on
par with scientific or medical journals! Remember, we're still just a
bunch of tinkerers and amateurs, with an occasional more serious
experimentalist or theorist thrown in to keep things interesting.

Neither are we anti-intellectual. If you want to share real scientific
results, carefully obtained and analyzed, you'll find an appreciative
audience, believe me, just as citations to the literature will be
happily explored by those of us who have that level of interest.

Meanwhile, folks coming here for basic help and direction should
receive plenty of support, encouragement, and practical answers they
can actually use, and not be confronted by a hostile, confrontational
atmosphere filled with bickering technophiles. <grin>

On a practical level, Indi, I'd suggest a couple of adjustments to what
you expect from us...

As a member, it's not generally your role to police what other people
are saying. That's my job. If you feel something is out of line, let me
know in private and I'll consider your input.

This includes standards for evidence and proof for the things people
say.

In the example of your earlier exchange with Ken, his claim that...

"I've left ionic silver on a sunny window sill for as long as 5 years
and it was still ionic and unchanged."

... was more than adequately substantiated as far as I'm concerned,
given that, when asked, he was able to give us methodology, results and
analysis sufficient that anyone with a mind to do so could judge the
reliability of his statement.

Accusing him of making "unsubstantiated claims" of the sort perpetrated
by all the marketing clowns out on the 'net was not fair. As list
owner, my standards for the group apply here, rather than some
arbitrary degree of scientific rigor you would prefer.

The other expectation I'd hope to see you scale back a little is your
belief that *anything* we could do here would result in institutional
acceptance of CS.

Structuring all our activities and day-to-day discussions to try to
motivate some hypothetical researchers to dedicate themselves to
legitimizing this particular alternative health item is not really part
of our mission brief. Our focus is on helping new people and each
other, and sharing our results as we try to develop the art.

It may sound paranoid, but at least here in the United States the
special interests are sufficiently entrenched that you're likely unique
in still hoping that they will ever open the door to CS. That may
change, but we're not waiting on them.

It's obvious from carefully reading your posts that you are quite
intelligent and your understanding of the world has a lot in common
with most of the rest of us. You've already heard some things from
other members that are new and interesting to you. That's pretty
typical of what you'll get if you stick around for a while and mine the
"brain trust."

I hope that gives you a better understanding of what we're about.

Be well,

Mike Devour
silver-list owner