I have definitely proved the one about leaching from the plastic Kathryn. If I buy new plastic (PET) bottles, I have to soak for three days at least in distilled water, otherwise, the CS goes yellow. After soaking I test the DW and it reads at least 025 whereas before I put it in the new bottle, it read 000. After such a 'seasoning,' the CS stays clear. Just my two pence worth. dee

Clayton Family wrote:

Perhaps I was. Are you also thinking of the possible volatiles coming from the plastic of the bottles, then; and you definitely said something about air- which is basically soup anyway, not easy to figure out what is there either. These sort of interactions (silver ions, volatiles and air) might be in the ppb or ppt, so not easy to pick out of the soup. There is probably equipment somewhere (I am thinking of the EPA) that can measure something like that. Our ability to measure tiny amounts has way outstripped our knowledge of how it interacts in the body in such small amounts.