On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 16:12:46 +1030
"Neville" <nevillem...@bigpond.com> wrote:

> I've done it again, I meant to say AC/DC converter, if that's
> what a wall wart is then that's it indi.

I'm pretty sure you are referring to a "wall wart" power supply.

> -That gives me something to work on, thanks.  That's a common old
> volume control knob or rheostat isn't it?

Yes, that's the one. Usually called a potentiometer or a variable
resistor.

> Yeah, I may just play
> around with one of those and have a go at that, what with my 'skills'
> in electronics <g> I shouldn't have too much trouble hooking up a
> multimeter to check voltage at different settings or positions.  Just
> had a thought, if I can find a counter of some sort I can just stick
> a match or something to one of the fan blades and hold the counter to
> it and find out that way, well dependant on how hard the counter
> 'clicks' around that is.  Good thinking 99. [BTW, you may find the
> torque required to move an object through liquid to be too much for
> that kind of motor, but I could be wrong about that. Shaft balance is
> a big deal for the bearings, too.] -Nah, they work fine indi, I've
> made several using the magnet out of the hard drive and the fan as
> the stirrer motor.  I think the lowest setting on the adapter I have
> is 3.5v which is not enough, (you're sort of half right there), the
> lowest which works is 4.5v.  Now I just use a straight 9.3v one.
> There's a lot of talk about stirring speeds but I'm happy with 9.3v,
> besides I haven't got the patience for weeks of testing various
> voltages anyway so I put the variable one back in the draw, may play
> around with voltage, (for spinning speed), again one day though and
> take some notes on resultant solutions. The tricky bit is locating
> the magnet central on the fan so the fan doesn't self destruct over
> time cos of excess wobble, (which would be your 'big deal' concerning
> the bearings), I've been using one now for around 8-10 months and is
> still an excellent magnetic stirrer, hasn't self destructed yet.
> I've been checking out speaker magnets to see if they would work also
> cos they are round, but the speakers I have ripped apart have magnets
> which I think are too thick, the hard drive ones are thin but have a
> very strong magnetic field.

I'm impressed. Sounds like you have native talent at tinkering with
electromechanical gadgets. Maybe you should take some photos and put
them online.

Cheers,
indi