Sol If what they told you is that fluoride will not "distill out" they have have meant that you will not find fluoride in the distillate which is whet should be.
Regards
Frank

sol wrote:
What does "open distillation" mean? I was told that fluoride (such as is added to municipal water in the U.S. will not distill out by an email correspondent. I have asked for her source for the statement, but haven't heard back yet.
thanks,
sol

frankcuns-r...@comcast.net wrote:
Hi There is a difference between fluorine and fluoride. Fluorine is a free gas and has a boiling point of about -180C but a tiny amount dissolves in water at room temperature and it is boiled off by distillation. Fluoride is an anion usually bound to a mineral such as sodium or calcium, etc by strong ionic bonds and it will not boil at 100C and thus will not be in the condensate but remain in the residue. Where did you get the information that an open distillation would not rid the fluorine?
Frank