At 12:00 AM 2/14/2009 +0005, you wrote:

> Something has changed in the water here in the last couple years. I'll
> repeat that it used to be that several months of the year I could put
> filtered cold tap water into the still and get out DW of about .2uS. The
> remaining months of the year it took putting the water through the still
> twice to get it down to .2 uS. Now it takes 3 or 4 passes through the
> still to get it that pure.

##  Might be an acid rain difference between summer and winter?
 Coal plants in the hood?
 Vegetation in the river difference, maybe.
Cold water can dissolve more gases into itself [oddly enough]
 Intuitive disconnect.

I imagine you've been over this all before with Ken, sol, but a few
questions:

Can you pre-boil your feed water for a while before putting it in the
distiller, so as to drive off any volatiles with lower boiling points?

##  Sounds like a plan to me!

Or is there a way to vent the vapor for a while before you start
collecting?

Or just throw out the first bits of water collected?

## That's the general procedure, but pre-boiling sounds better to keep that stuff out of the condenser to start with.

Separate the output into a number of different jars while the distiller
is going and see if the conductivity changes from one part of the run
to another?

##  Good experiment!!

ode

Be well,