Help! Brilliant minds needed!

I am still trying to figure out the pH reaction in the body of citric acid.

Last week I read that citrates are alkalinizing. I therefore thought that
citric acid was also. I have since been in email conversation with a
chemist about it.

He says that citrates are indeed alkalanizing....they are the mineral salts
of citric acid. However, he says that citric acid itself is *very acidic*,
and so is lemon. Here is his quote:

"Citric acid is very acidic.  It has three carboxylic acid groups.  It is
attracted to cations.  This does not matter if it is in a beaker, a body,
or a lemon.  Many fruits and vegetables also have a mineral content.  This
may partially neutralize some of the acids.  If you pyrolyze the item, then
the organic moiety is primarily disposed of as carbon dioxide and the
inorganic component sits in the ash.  This is why ashes containing, say,
Potassium hydroxide, are used in traditional soap making to hydrolyzed the
triglycerides and saponify the free fatty acids.  Lemons are acidic.  No
matter how they are sliced or diced."

Now, I don't know about the citric acid, but I KNOW I have read that lemons
are alkalinizing in the body. Does anyone have a source or reference for
that?

The reason I am so gung-ho to figure this out is that I am trying to
understand the program in the book DR. MOERMANN'S ANTI-CANCER DIET. His
diet is basically alkalinizing. He also recommends lots of lemon juice and
citric acid. I am trying to figure out whether this is an alkalinzing diet
or an acidic diet. My chemist friend insists the diet creates a very acid
condition in the body, and that that actually fights the cancer. I do not
think so, but I do not have facts.

Got any facts about any of this to lay on me?

~^^V^^~