Hi Vilik,

Is this deja vu?
I remember answering a similar question from you recently :-)

Your chemist friend is correct as far as he goes.

Citric acid is acid, not surprisingly, but as I wrote to you and
the chemist confirms, it breaks down to CO2 and H2O. In the body
CO2 is removed by exhalation and the net acidic load is thus
reduced.
It may be that citric acid has some therapeutic value, I don't
know, but citric acid is not alkalising in and of itself.

Citrates are alkaline metal salts. They are neutral compounds
until disassociated, where the citric acid component reacts to
become water and CO2.

Lemon juice contains 4 - 8 % citric acid by weight. Lemon juice
also contains alkalising minerals, which means that, after
ingestion and after the citric acid is removed ultimately in the
breath, a net alkalising pH is the result. This is why citric and
other fruits whilst testing acid, are considered to be alkalising
foods.

Regards - Ivan