They are that white pfte plastic, or whatever it's called, coated with a form
of plastic anyway Steve.

Sizes...35mm x 5mm (1 3/8" x 3/16"dia), and 30mm x 7mm (1 3/16" x 3/8"dia at
the ring).

Size of container...limited only by availability, any size you like. But you
got to be a little careful on the thickness and convexity of the inside bottom
of the container, I bought several glass containers the same at an el-cheapo
shop and the bottoms are a little thick, still OK, but sometimes for some
unfathomable reason, I need to use the other stirrer bar as one may tend to not
spin properly, but this is due to my stirrer setup, 99.9% of the time they are
fine, I think one of two of the containers, (as I rotate them), may have a
slightly thicker bottom than the others, or an imperfection in the glass.  I'll
look for better ones one day.

I think silver is a little like oil, it will get in anywhere given time, as the
bars may darken in colour due I guess to the 'invisible' imperfections in the
finish of the plastic.

N.