There are three ways I know of to do HVAC, actually.
The arc method is the one most likely to produce undesirable nitrogen-based
compounds, so I haven't tried it. Then there is the immersion method (both
electrodes fully immersed), which according to Ol' Bob Berger is limited to
producing maybe 5 or so ppm. Finally there's the cone method, in which one
electrode is fully immersed and the other is placed just close enough to the
surface of the water to raise it into a "cone" which envelopes the electrode
when power is applied to the circuit.
The cone method produces the most best result IMO, and is good for around 20
ppm, with more particulate content than is possible with LVDC.
But you have to check on it every couple of hours, or as the water evaporates
the cone will become an arc. Also the lid (I use a glass lid) has to be
dried periodically, or you can get a corona discharge (diffuse version of
arcing which is harder to detect).
Personally, I use and recommend the HVAC cone method. But it does take
caution and vigilance, so may not be for everyone.
As for the ideal electrode sizes, I'm sure others here would know more about
it than I. I seem to have hit on a combination that works and haven't
experimented much with it.

--
indi