From: polo [mailto:dah...@centurytel.net]
Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 2:57 PM
To: silver-list@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: CS>DMSO and poke

Steve,

    I recommend a pure (upper 90s%) DMSO menstruum (herbal solvent), if you are
planning on tincturing the fresh green herb. If you are tincturing dry herbs, I
would go with the recommended ratios that are traditionally used and varies
from herb to herb. For instance it is recommended that when you tincture dry
poke root, you use a 50% ethanol/50% water solution, so I would likewise use a
50% DMSO/50% water solution. Just substitute the DMSO for ethanol.

    DMSO should not need a preservative if used at the higher strengths, just
like ethanol. Things usually do not grow in DMSO as they do not in ethanol,
presuming the strength is high. I would not be afraid of herbal tinctures 30%
or higher in DMSO concentrations. I mostly only use High purity DMSO in my
tincturing process and I have yet to have a tincture spoil.

    I have never tried to combine DMSO and ethanol as a combination menstruum.
Interesting concept! I can only see an advantage to this from a solvent
standpoint if both solvents can extract components of an herb, if one by itself
could not. If you are only adding DMSO to provide a more efficient vehicle of
herbal drug delivery, then yes, that might be an advantage too, though most
people detest DMSO. You could extract the herb by either using a combined
DMSO/ethanol menstruum or just tincturing each herb in a DMSO or ethanol
menstruum then combining the two. Either way should be ok to my way of thinking.

    The eclectic medical movement that specialized in botanical medicines from
the late 1800s up till 1932 or so, found that the best poke root tincture was
made directly from the fresh green poke root. The dry poke root is no where
near as good or potent. The toxic qualities of poke weed are highly
exaggerated. No doubt if you ate the mature weed like you would the young one
or as you would any salad, you would suffer gastro-intestinal distress, but
that's about it--puking. In some circles, it is felt that vomiting as a result
of poke root is actually cathartic. This is held mainly by the puke & cleanse
old time herbalists. I would not be worried about the widely publicized
toxicity of poke. I know you will find that some young children in the long ago
past were said to be poisoned by the berry. Maybe so. We don't know how much
they ate, nor if they were compromised in some way or if younger systems are
more susceptible. In the adult, poke berries were commonly used for arthritic
conditions. As the old cliché goes, all things are poison in the right amounts
and most poisons are medicinal in smaller amounts. Poke is no different. It is
one of my favorite herbs and a superb anti-viral and lymphatic stimulant. It is
great as a topical DMSO tincture.

doug