Doug what's your website?

-----Original Message-----
From: Norton, Steve [mailto:stephen.nor...@ngc.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 7:31 PM
To: silver-list@eskimo.com
Subject: RE: CS>DMSO and poke

Doug,

I certainly agree that pokeweed is interesting.
Both in it's unique antiviral properties: Three well-known  different
pokeweed antiviral protein (PAP)isoforms from the leaves of the pokeweed
(PAP-I from spring leaves, PAPII from early summer leaves, and PAP-III from
late summer leaves) that cause concentration-dependent depurination of
genomic virus RNA. And there is the pokeweed mitogen. I have not come across
mitogens in any other plant, although there may be some with mitogens. And
in it's immune stimulating properties.

I have to admit that the roots worry me a little since they, along with any
red parts of the plant (not including the berries), contains the highest
amount of toxins. The berries are the lowest as long as you do not eat the
seeds.

When I grew up in Kentucky, pokeweed would be found anywhere you did not cut
or weed regularly. I have yet to see it in CA where I live now. I see that
you offer pokeweed for sale or trade on your site. What are your prices for
shoots, roots, leaves and berries and when are the seasons for each? I would
like enough berries for a pie and some jelly to try. The rest would be for
tincturing. Except for some shoots that I may cook if there are enough.

Thanks,
     Steve N