Oh, just reimburse me for the postage and I can send you some fresh root. It needs to be dug after our first frost which is a ways off yet. Berries would be much harder and I don't generally pick or sell them.

doug

----- Original Message ----- From: "Norton, Steve" <stephen.nor...@ngc.com>
To: <silver-list@eskimo.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 6:30 PM
Subject: RE: CS>DMSO and poke

Doug,

I certainly agree that pokeweed is interesting.
Both in it's unique antiviral properties: Three well-known different pokeweed antiviral protein (PAP)isoforms from the leaves of the pokeweed (PAP-I from spring leaves, PAPII from early summer leaves, and PAP-III from late summer leaves) that cause concentration-dependent depurination of genomic virus RNA. And there is the pokeweed mitogen. I have not come across mitogens in any other plant, although there may be some with mitogens. And in it's immune stimulating properties.

I have to admit that the roots worry me a little since they, along with any red parts of the plant (not including the berries), contains the highest amount of toxins. The berries are the lowest as long as you do not eat the seeds.

When I grew up in Kentucky, pokeweed would be found anywhere you did not cut or weed regularly. I have yet to see it in CA where I live now. I see that you offer pokeweed for sale or trade on your site. What are your prices for shoots, roots, leaves and berries and when are the seasons for each? I would like enough berries for a pie and some jelly to try. The rest would be for tincturing. Except for some shoots that I may cook if there are enough.

Thanks,
    Steve N