In these two studies they used skin biopsies.

Am J Vet Res. 1988 Sep;49(9):1550-4.Links
Efficacy of ivermectin in paste and injectable formulations against microfilariae of Onchocerca cervicalis and resolution of associated dermatitis in horses.

French DD, Klei TM, Foil CS, Miller RI, Foil LD, Chapman MR, McClure JJ. Department of Veterinary Science, Louisiana Agricultural Experiment Station, Louisiana State University Agricultural Center, Baton Rouge 70803-6002. The efficacy of a single dose of ivermectin (0.2 mg/kg), in injectable or paste formulations, against microfilariae of Onchocerca cervicalis and associated skin lesions was evaluated in 20 naturally infected horses during midsummer months in Louisiana. All horses had clinical signs of dermatitis of the ventral midline and/or limbs, shoulders, thorax, and withers. Efficacy was monitored at 21, 42, and 63 days after treatment. Procedures done at these intervals included microfilarial counts of 6-mm skin biopsy specimens of affected ventral midline, grading of gross lesions, and photography and histologic assessment of ventral midline biopsy specimens. Microfilarial numbers were reduced to 0 by 21 days after treatment in all but one horse. Active lesions improved or were resolved completely by 63 days after treatment. Total inflammation, as judged by histologic methods, was reduced in all horses by 63 days after treatment, but there was a residual population of inflammatory cells in all horses. Adverse reactions after treatment were not observed in any of the horses.
PMID: 3223664 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

===================

 J Parasitol. 1995 Feb;81(1):117-8.Links
Efficacy of moxidectin oral gel against Onchocerca cervicalis microfilariae.

Monahan CM, Chapman MR, French DD, Klei TR.
Department of Veterinary Microbiology and Parasitology, School of Veterinary Medicine, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge. During a series of dose-titration experiments designed to evaluate the efficacy of moxidectin oral gel against equine gastrointestinal parasites, infection with Onchocerca cervicalis was diagnosed in 25 of 82 ponies prior to treatment. Microfilariae were identified in full-thickness skin biopsies taken from the ventral midline. Treatment with moxidectin in single doses of 300, 400, or 500 micrograms/kg of body weight was 100% effective in eliminating microfilariae from 20 skin biopsies taken 14 days posttreatment, whereas 5 microfilaria-positive ponies in 2 control groups remained positive following placebo treatment. No adverse reaction was seen in any pony following treatment with moxidectin or the vehicle control.
PMID: 7876966 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

--------
Dr Chris Steele, ITV's This Morning supporting LDN
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVpjsDK0LPA

Dianne France wrote:
Garnet
Why don't these worms show up in cultures? Dianne > Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 09:01:44 -0500