Hi Diane,

>  [ ... ]
> How do you program the stamp? What is the input method? (I'm picturing
> an itty bitty keyboard but that can't be, can it? ;-))

No :-), the interface cable plugs into the printer port of your PC and
then into the stamp. You use the editor to edit your code.  The editor
will also upload your code into the stamp.

> >From what I gather, a basic stamp is a small board with some electronic
> components.

Yes, the carrier holds all the parts (the pre-programmed pic, an EEPROM,
a regulator and some other "glue" components) that make up the "BS1
System". It is sorta-kinda like a SIMM with regular through hole IC pins
on it.

There are pictures of it on the parallax web site.

Hope this helps!

Take care, Vikki.
--
Victoria Welch, WV9K, DoD#-13, Net/Sys/WebAdmin SeaStar.org,
vikki.oz.net