Hi Kirsteen and Sol,

I'm not dogmatic about this, you can check it out for yourselves, but as
with wine, many fermentation processes are self-limiting; i.e., the
alcohol or acetic acid or whatever the bugs produce in a limited
environment like a wine or vinegar vat or a saurkraut crock eventually
poisons them and so limits the fermentation process.  This is not to say
NONE of them survive, or perhaps more significantly their spores.

OTOH, there are a number of aerobic and even partially anaerobic
organisms lumped into the "yeast" category, with widely varying products
of fermentation or other exudates depending on their environment.  The
commonest example is baker's/brewer's yeast which can produce alcohol
and/or carbon dioxide depending on the concentrations of not only air,
CO2, and alcohol but also temperature.

The kingdom of fungi, from molds and yeasts to mushrooms and other
strange beasts like walking slime molds is phylogenetically more like us
than any bacterium, archaeo- or complex.  This makes it much more
difficult to defend ourselves against their involvement with us and much
more risky to try to poison them out of our systems; we're much more
likely to poison ourselves as well.

An interesting book you might find enjoyable as well as informative
about fungi:  "Magical Mushrooms, Mischevious Molds" by George W. Hudler

Take care,
Malcolm