Hi Debbie,

I've not seen an upper limit. But I haven't been looking for an upper
limit because I feel that I'm chronically borderline deficient anyway. Mg
seems to be the one thing that will haul me back from grumps, confusion
and depression. I take a Ca+ Mg powder morning and evening and let them
sort themselves out inside. Somewhere i read that it is better to take Ca
in the late afternoon or early evening and to take Mg early in the
morning. Then also read that Ca needs some Mg and that Mg needs a bit of
Ca to be readily absorbed.

You have had some wise replies. your running out of energy could come
from anywhere. I used to get "Sunday Sickness". I'd go like a Boeing,
sorta, during the week and collapse over the weekend. Long afterwards
figured that "Sunday Sickness" was probably due to relaxing: release of
tension somehow released toxins which created a mini Herx; headache,
nausea, lassitude. If only I'd known then to relax, drink more water etc

Mg Dosage (min) is anyway tricky thing to establish exactly, because
recommended dosage figures are usually in elemental Mg and the packages
are in Magnesium Carbonate or whatever. ( I take guess that elemental Mg
is about 1/2 of the actual compound ; unless it is stated. ) Also we need
relatively more as we age. and absorbtion and requirements depend on
other factors like Vit D consumption

The RDA is 350mg per day.
Krispin says 500mg per day as minimum.

I googled "magnesium safe dose" and first hit was this site:
http://www.krispin.com/magnes.html

Recommended Dietary Allowance

To compensate for deficiencies and/or losses the new RDA is expected to
be 500 mg. per day. My Krispin-RDA is a total of 500-700 mg magnesium
daily.

Determination of optimal amounts must take into consideration both body
size and activity level. Magnesium is a key component of the ATP cycle in
the cell which produces all energy.
Formula to Calculate Magnesium Daily Requirement-  5 to 10 milligrams per
day per kilo of ideal body weight or 2.5 to 4.5 milligrams per day per
pound of ideal body weight.

Example: 70 kilos or 150 pounds= 350 mg. to 700 mg. daily.

(Do not use these calculations for children. The requirements for
children are calculated differently. Please consult with your health care
professional for more information.)

If one or more deficiency or loss factors are a consideration or you have
any of the conditions associated with low magnesium use the higher number-

 you take diuretics, including potassium sparing diuretics
you are an athlete in training
 you are diabetic
you have hypertension
you are post surgical
you are under large amounts of stress
you consume large amounts of carbohydrates
you are repairing damaged tissue as in arthritis
the weather is very hot, you perspire profusely
you have any of the conditions listed above
you are dieting with/without medications
you are experiencing chronic pain
you have heart disease
you have high cholesterol or triglycerides

hth, got to go,

OK,
Tony