Alpha Lipoic Acid has been shown to reduce iron buildup in the brain and
inhibit excess iron accumulation. While there does not appear to be
studies regarding iron and ALA in other body tissues, I see no reason
why ALA would not protect them as well.

 - Steve N

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/othernuts/la/index.html

"Metal Chelation: Redox-active metal ions, such as free iron and copper,
can induce oxidative damage by catalyzing reactions that generate highly
reactive free radicals (24). Compounds that chelate (bind) free metal
ions in a way that prevents them from generating free radicals offer
promise in the treatment of neurodegenerative and other chronic
diseases, in which metal-induced oxidative damage may play a role (25).
Both LA and DHLA have been found to inhibit copper- and iron-mediated
oxidative damage in the test tube (26, 27), and to inhibit excess iron
and copper accumulation in animal models (28, 29).

28. Yamamoto H, Watanabe T, Mizuno H, et al. The antioxidant effect of
DL-alpha-lipoic acid on copper-induced acute hepatitis in Long-Evans
Cinnamon (LEC) rats. Free Radic Res. 2001;34(1):69-80. (PubMed)

29. Suh JH, Moreau R, Heath SH, Hagen TM. Dietary supplementation with
(R)-alpha-lipoic acid reverses the age-related accumulation of iron and
depletion of antioxidants in the rat cerebral cortex. Redox Rep.
2005;10(1):52-60. (PubMed)"

http://www.advice-hgh.com/ala/blood-and-iron.html

"As mentioned above, lipoic acid chelates transition metals, binding
them tightly and preventing them from going on a "Fenton frenzy." More
specifically, R(+)-Lipoic Acid is superior to the S(-)- in controlling
the acceleration of free radical damage by copper 54 Likewise, lipoic
acid can protect cells from the toxic heavy transition metal cadmium
through chelation, but it only becomes effective when charged up into
its DHLA form; 55 since the body makes DHLA from R(+)-Lipoic Acid much
more quickly than happens with the S(-)-form, 37 , 39 that should mean
that R(+)-Lipoic Acid gives stronger protection against cadmium toxicity
than the S(-)-form.

And what about iron? The ability of the racemate to tie up iron is
well-established,30 although unfortunately no studies that we know of
have compared the iron-chelating protection provided by the racemate
with the powers of R(+)-lipoic acid. But there's only been one study to
see if lipoic acid might be able to protect the brain of a living,
breathing organism against damage from excessive iron buildup - and that
study used R(+)-lipoic acid. 56

In this study, 56 scientists looked at the levels of iron in the brains
of young, middle-aged, late-middle aged, and old lab animals. Not
surprisingly, the older the animal, the more iron it had in its brain,
though how much more depended on what part of the brain the researchers
looked at. When they looked at levels of vitamin C in these areas, the
scientists consistently found that the more iron was present in a given
part of the brain at a given age, the lower was the level of vitamin C -
suggesting that the presence of iron was depleting the brain of its
antioxidant defense forces.

Remarkably, at the end of an experiment that lasted just two weeks, the
forebrains of old animals which were given R(+)-Lipoic Acid in their
food were found to have 60% less iron buildup, and to have undergone a
"substantial restoration" of antioxidant defenses (as measured by
vitamin C levels), as compared to unsupplemented animals in the same age
group. No significant differences were seen in other brain areas;
however, one wonders if a mere two weeks may simply not have been enough
time to mobilize the iron accumulation from structures located deeper
within the brain. Either way, this study - combined with the other known
neuroprotective effects of lipoic acid (and especially the R(+)-form) -
suggests that R(+)-Lipoic Acid shows promise in the prevention (and,
perhaps, even the treatment) of several devastating neurological
diseases."