In analyzing Dave's data and reviewing again the Altman study I believe
that I have found (or more accurately, stumbled upon) the reason why EIS
is safer to use than other forms of silver. It also explains why EIS is
both processed the same as other silver compounds, primarily by the
liver, and also differently at the same time. I will go into that
shortly. I think you will find it interesting. Either as a long sought
after answer or as an opportunity to tell me what an idiot I am.

But first, a request. I think that some good information can be gained
from evaluating the silver usage of those on the list who have blue
moons in their fingernails. I would like to request all who can, to
provide it the following info:

Average daily amount used.
Average ppm of EIS
How EIS was made
Number of years till nail beds turned blue/grey
Any unusual supplements used in conjunction with the EIS

The more data we have the better we can know how to best use EIS. While
I think that there are few things we can conclusively draw from Dave's
experience, one item think I feel is encouraging is that there appears
to be a significant difference between the time blue moons appear and
when argyria might occur. And maybe we can use Dave's timeline as a
rough predictor for someone with blue moons to develop more serious
signs with or without changes in usage. And yes, it would be very
speculative but it might be better that what we have now - nothing.

For those who might wish to brush up on the Roger Altman Silver
Elimination Study, here is a link to Roger's report.
http://www.silver-colloids.com/Papers/AltmanStudy.PDF

And here is a discussion of the study and silver elimination in general:
http://www.info-archive.com/colsil%20silvertox.ht

First, I would like to discuss how much silver the liver can the liver
excrete in a day. When silver compounds in the blood exceed that limit
it leads to increased deposition of silver in the tissues. The excess
silver has to go somewhere. The following study puts that at about 1 mg
of silver per day (or 3.4 oz of 10 ppm CS):

"In a study involving biologic monitoring of workers (n = 37) in one of
the silver smelting and refining industries in which the exposure is
entirely
by inhalation, silver was found in the blood (0.011 :g per milliliter
[mL]),
urine (<0.005 :g/mL), and feces (15 :g/g). Control subjects excreted
about
1.5 :g/g in the feces (n = 35). The author suggests that human fecal
excretion
of silver at exposure levels equal to the Threshold Limit Value (TLV)
(0.1 mg per cubic meter [m3]) would be about 1 mg of silver per day (Di-
Vincenzo et al. 1985)."

If you exceed this limit continuously over a period of time you will
have excess silver deposited in the tissues. For non EIS silver
compounds, it has been found that roughly 10% of the silver ingested is
absorbed into the bloodstream. That would indicate that you can take up
to 34 oz of 10 ppm CS per day and not saturate the biliary excretion
path. However, the Altman study shows that 100% of ingested EIS enters
the bloodstream and so EIS should be limited to 3.4 oz of 10 ppm EIS, or
equivalent, to remain within the bilary excretion capability of the
liver. However, should you exceed that amount, EIS is uniquely processed
by the body and that is where EIS becomes safer to use and less likely
to cause argyria.

To understand what happens when you take more EIS than the liver bilary
excretion path can handle, you need to look at the Altman study.

The Altman study starts by Roger Altman taking 2.34 mg of silver, in the
form of EIS, daily for an extended period of time. That amount is
significantly higher than the 1 mg daily amount the liver can process
and caused a buildup of silver in Roger's system. Roger then stopped
taking any EIS and then measured over a 96 day period the excretion of
silver out through the liver (feces) and the kidney (urine). Over the 96
day period, the silver excreted through the feces was fairly constant
but varying around 1.5 mg per day. I believe that this represents the
excretion capacity of Roger's bilary excretion path and is consistent
with the study referenced previously.

What is interesting, and what sets EIS apart from other forms of silver,
is what was happening in the kidney. For silver compounds other than
EIS, only a little silver is excreted through the urine. Even when there
is excess silver in bloodstream or when the bilary excretion path is
blocked and preventing the liver from excreting silver. But the Altman
study shows a large amount of silver excreting out in the urine. Usually
in the 3 to 4 mg per day range, but at times as much as 10 mg. It is
this result that has erroneously led people to believe that EIS is
primarily excreted through the urine.

Out at the 96th day samples, the silver in the urine has dropped to 0.64
mg but the excretion through the feces was 2 mg, indicating that the
bilary excretion path was still eliminating silver at its maximum
capacity while only a little silver was still passing out through the
kidney.

I propose that the primary excretion path for EIS is through the liver
EXCEPT when the amount of silver from EIS in the blood exceeds the
liver's capacity to excrete it AND AS LONG AS THE SILVER IS IN SOLUTION.
Why do I say that? It is clear that EIS is somehow unique from other
types of silver. We can tell that by the fact that it is processed
differently as shown by the study. But what is that difference? I
propose that it is that EIS forms silver chloride in the stomach acid.
And that silver chloride has a low solubility in the blood. I also
propose that silver chloride does not have to go into solution to pass
into the bloodstream. But that the silver chloride molecule is small
enough to pass into the blood while still a particle.

Small particles in the blood are filtered by the kidneys. When the
silver chloride exceeds the solubility capability of the blood, it
exists in the blood as particles and is filtered out by the kidney. It
is this unique excretion path that makes EIS less likely to cause
argyria. However, EIS is not impervious to causing argyria. As long as
silver content in the blood is higher than what the liver can process,
some of that silver is being deposited in the tissues. It is just that
EIS significantly reduces the problem.

It also makes me think that the problems with using non distilled water
and additives to the water is not caused so much by the silver chloride
that is formed but by other silver compounds formed with other
impurities.

 - Steve N