Hi,

I'm betting you get tons of advice.

One of the most holistic things you can do to alleviate depression is regular
low-level aerobic exercise.  Actually, the more intense workouts help too, but
simply walking a half hour a day is good enough to have a real effect.   Of
course, when you're already depressed, it's really hard to get motivated to
take that first step.   Helps if you can make a committment and turn it into an
automatic routine.

My wife has had endogenous depression most of her life, which merely means that
for whatever reason, her body or brain is predisposed towards depression.  In
addition she has had some significant life-changing events that have caused
stress and situational depression.

Over the years, she has had talking therapy and also a variety of
anti-depressant medications.   She had no success with any of the medications
until her dr. prescribed Cymbalta.  Now despite her daunting health and
situational situation, she no longer has to deal with mood problems.

My advice would be to try out holistic avenues, alternative meds and so on, but
also consider trying some of the prescription medications.   Standard medical
treatment has mostly failed her, but we do have one really nice allopathic
treatment which has been very successful for her for depression.

It's expensive though, so our insurance plan is always trying to find some way
to have her treated with something cheaper that is unlikely to be effective.

Best of luck,