Alan:

Many times you do not need anything accurate to brew a very accurate recipe. You look for ratios in either liquid or powder and if you see a ration of 1/3 or 4/1 or whatever, you can use any vessel that will yield you the proper amount. Let us say you are brewing a recipe that calls for 1 ounce vodka and 5 ounces of gin. You do not need a one ounce accurate measure. You pick any measure that will give you a total volume close to what you are looking for and use it. Let us say we find an old shot glass that we have no idea of how much it holds but, truth be know, it holds 1.037 ounces. We merely pour it level full of vodka and dump in glass and follow with 5 level fulls of gin and pour in glass. We will have a slightly larger amount to consume than we wanted but the formulation will be very accurate.

We may have a larger hang over but we will have drund a very accurate recipe and do not need a graduated cylinder that accurately measures anything. Any time you can work with even ratios, this works like a champ and costs you nothing. Same is true of dry volumes like sugar and salt

If you go into an accurate weight recipe, different deal altogether. Then you can stroll down to your local post office in the middle of the night when there is not a line and use the postal scale in the lobby to dump your mixes on a piece of paper towel or whatever that you add to until the scale gets you what you want. You just have to work with a large enough total weight that you are not pushing the resolution of the scales. Parts of ounces are very easy to check out but 1/100 of an ounce is a no go as the scales will not accurately resolve this for you.

Harvey

Alan Jones wrote:
This is a very interesting discussion, thanks for sharing.

I live in a major city, I'm guessing I could probably find the crystals locally? Any suggestions on looking for this; would I search for "chemistry supply" or something like that?