At 01:09 PM 3/1/2010, you wrote:

I'll leave a bit of "old brew" in the jar for the next batch. How much would make the difference, and how long should it take? 3-4 hours? instead of the 6+?

I remember reading a few posts about seeding, but it seems that it didn't make a difference for some, so I wonder what it all depends on.

It might depend on how much of the previous batch you leave behind to seed the next batch. I believe someone posted a long time ago a formula for this, might have been Terry Chamberlin? I think it was that leaving 1/4 of the previous batch will reduce brewing time by 2/3 or similar, I can't remember it exactly, but since I first read it I have always left approx 1/4 of the previous batch. At first it may seem like this "wastes" CS you could be using, but for me it speeds up the brewing time so much it is worth it. It may be pertinent that I need to start with distilled water that is very pure. So if I didn't seed a batch at all, it will take a very long time indeed.
sol