You are right, Dorothy. I think the rest of the story may be someone's assumption that the potatoes are getting peeled before they get cooked (I don't peel them), and/or that the cooking water is being poured off and therefore lost after cooking.

According to Dr. Bernard Jensen, most of the potassium in a potato resides under the first 1/4" of potato closest to the skin. Dr. Jensen made popular a "Potassium broth", which consisted of potato peelings cooked down into a soup.

So if you don't peel the potato, and if you don't pour off the cooking water, you aren't losing the Potassium.

When I cook potatoes, I use the cooking water also, without pouring it off the unpeeled potatoes.

Stay well,

Linda
-------------- Original message from Dorothy Fitzpatrick <d...@deetroy.org>: --------------

I can't see how cooking depletes potassium because it is a mineral--not a vitamin. I could see it leaching out into the water but not for jacket potatoes.