There are a couple of possible electrical paths here that may have caused you to
experience a shock.

1. Resistance - Glass is a fine insulator, however, there is no perfect
insulator. Higher
voltages require more insulation. Though the leakage at any one point on the
jar may be small, adding the foil to the side, in effect, creates a
number of parallel resistive paths and thus the possibility for more current
flow.

2. Capacitance - Since the supply voltage is AC, capacitance plays a role in
apparent current flow through an insulator. In applying the foil to the
side of the jar, you create a capacitor; the foil being one plate, the glass
being the dielectric, and the conductive liquid in the jar being the
other plate. Because the polarity of the power source is changing at a 60 cycle
rate, the electrical potential on the aluminum foil tries to change at
that rate. Thus it is always trying to take on or give up electrons. If  given
a path, these electrons will flow. If that path is through your body,
and the electron flow is sufficient, you will sense an electrical shock. The
amount of the current available from the source will determine the
severity of that shock.

I have found, with high voltage, you can't be too careful!

God Bless,
Jeff K1LE CT