Jim wrote:

> I made my first batch and wonder if it's Ok. I used distilled water
> in glass jars. For silver, I had one ounce of .999 silver split down
> the middle into two pieces, hooked up to a DC power supply at 27
> volts.

It sounds like you're doing great, Jim!

How are you holding the silver in the water? I hope that only the
silver is in contact with the water, otherwise you're making
colloidal <other stuff>! Besides that, I think your setup and
procedure sounds fine.

> There were strands visible coming from the positive electrode after
> about 15 minutes in each run, and at the end there was some slight
> amount of black residue in the bottom of the jar.

Do you wipe off the electrodes when you take them out?

It's easy to shake stuff off the electrodes when you remove them to
stir and make your measurements, so that can account for a little
fallout in the bottom. Also, there sometimes is some part of what's
coming off the positive electrode that tends to sink and plate out on
the bottom of the glass.

> The only pressing question is if this dark color change is normal,
> and what is causing it? Did I let it run too long?

You're probably just fine.

As a wild-assed guess, I'd bet your actual ppm reading will end up
maybe 15-20. I think you are reaping the benefits of large surface
area electrodes. Your setup can absorb a fairly large current flow
without making the really big particles.

Let me know if you see any additional fallout after the first day.
Keep a sample to see if it's still clear with the bottom of the
bottle clean after a couple of weeks in a quiet place. Then you'll
know if you've got a reasonably stable conconction with adequately
small particle size.

We see the initial color change during the first half day or so as
the particles get settled in their new home. <grin> I suspect a bit
of clumping and moving around for a uniform distribution is going on.

There might be some chemical changes happening at the surface of the
silver particles, too, but in the long run things become quite
stable and the stuff seems to work just fine.

Good going! The more you make, the more you'll get the hang of it.
Let us know how it works for you!

Be well,

Mike D.

[mdev...@mail.id.net                       ]
[Speaking only for myself...              ]