hahahaha -- good point.

I found from a National Safety Council publication that they count a highway
death as "alcohol related" if any driver had a blood alcohol content >= 0.01%.

You can probably get that much just by listening to "Days of Wind and Roses" on
the radio, or by slapping on some aftershave or perfume.

So their 50% claims are totally bogus just from that alone.

But it's worse -- the only way you can know if a figure like "50% of x involves
people who do y" is to know how many people do y in total, which they never
even try to give figure for in the case of alcohol.

"50% of highway deaths involve alcohol" doesn't mean squat unless you know what
percentage of people have alcohol in them on average, and at what level.

It's like saying "30% of highway deaths involve left-handed drivers".  So what?
 Doesn't mean a think unless you also know that only 10% of the population is
left-handed, in which case they are causing more than their proportionate share
of deaths, of unless they comprise 40% of the population, in which case we
should all ride with a left-handed driver.  :-)

Dick