There are natural oil seeps off the California coast. Think LaBrea tar
pits....oil and tar close to the surface. Santa Barbara off shore has many
seeps. The natural seeps don't put out so much these days because the oil
drilling has relieved the pressure

About ten days ago on a forum an old guy said he saw tarballs washing up on
Southern California beaches in the 1940s...before any offshore drilling off
the California coast

BP head on TV said last night it is now an industry wide effort to get the
best people and best brains together to neutralize this gusher. I would not
bet against these people. An entire industry's future is at stake. In other
words they have very stronmg incentives (monetary and otherwise) to cap this
well

Me.....  I would consider drilling a hole right next to the well 500 ft down
and detonate a small nuke