Don't know if you've misunderstood the question Ode?

Most articles I read about pH testing there is mention of a buffer solution,
not being chemistry minded, and my understanding in these matters is minimal
{whilst I continue my search for relevant material} therefore I just wanted to
know if a meter/paper could be used *as is* without the necessity for that
buffer solution.

It seems to me that the reason buffer solutions are used is if one wishes to
*change* the acidity or alkalinity of that solution which is being tested as a
means of 'compensation'...I don't want to *change* or *compensate* for
anything...just want to know if I can dip the paper/meter in the water and use
that pH reading as a reference of pH of that solution.

Do you follow what I'm saying?

PH will be different at cessation of production to what it will be after
suitable time frame has elapsed...to a point whereby I suppose the pH reaches a
point of 'stabilization?'...Yes/No?  Not dissimilar to the silver solution time
frame for stabilization.

N.