Hi Neville,

Taking a guess here . The buffer may be a solution made up to be a fixed
pH for testing and monitoring and adjusting the pH meter. From memory,
watching others setting up and calibrating pH electrodes and meters,
there were two such solutions at or near the ends of the upper and lower
range of the desired measurement range.  But usually only one solution is
sufficient for checking, once the meter and electrode is set.

A buffer solution is chosen to be a stable pH even though it has aged or
been stuffed up in other ways. It should be a steady, reliable known pH.

OK,
Tony

On 3 Jul 2010 at 11:28, Neville Munn wrote about :
Subject : RE: CS>Testing pH?

> This is why I asked if a buffer is *necessary*, I don't want to change
> anything, and I don't want to 'neutralise' anything, I just want to take a
> measurement *as is*.
>

> I'm content now, knowing that a buffer is not a requirement if simply
> wanting to take a straight measurement of water or a solution.
>

> Why do you add the reagent Harold?
>

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but buffers are for the purpose of increasing or
> decreasing acidity/alkalinity as a compensatory measure to create a
> neutral pH are they not?  I don't wish to alter or neutralise anything,
> just get a reading of pH of the water/solution as it is from scratch.
>

> N.
>

> From: har...@telus.net
> To: silver-list@eskimo.com
> Subject: CS>Testing pH?
> Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 16:26:24 -0700
>

> I test my Distilled water using an aquarium kit.It uses a blue reagent,2
> drops in a measured amt of water.
>
> Harold
> If It Exists, You'll Find it on SEEK. Australia's #1 job site
> http://clk.atdmt.com/NMN/go/157639755/direct/01/

Archives: