This is why I asked if a buffer is *necessary*, I don't want to change
anything, and I don't want to 'neutralise' anything, I just want to take a
measurement *as is*.

I'm content now, knowing that a buffer is not a requirement if simply wanting
to take a straight measurement of water or a solution.

Why do you add the reagent Harold?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but buffers are for the purpose of increasing or
decreasing acidity/alkalinity as a compensatory measure to create a neutral pH
are they not?  I don't wish to alter or neutralise anything, just get a reading
of pH of the water/solution as it is from scratch.

N.