Thanks Dee. I would still like to know why, however, the second distillation is yielding crud on the bottom of the boiling pot if the water is supposed to be pure. I figured the specks were the charcoal but it doesn't seem to be a problem so far. I forgot to mention that I use filtered water that I boil before I put it in the distiller.
PT

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dorothy Fitzpatrick" <d...@deetroy.org>
To: <silver-list@eskimo.com>
Sent: Sunday, August 15, 2010 2:08 PM
Subject: Re: CS>twice distilled water

Are you using the charcoal filter which comes with it? If so, then this is the reason for your problems. I use a similar product but don't use the filter which came with the machine. When I used to filter mine through a Brita before distilling, I got a reading of 2. Now I only distill once using cold tap water then boiling it. I tip off the very first bit of water and then carry on. I get a reading of 000 every time using this method and my CS is always clear. dee