Jan
  The fast mode just means no polarity switching. Without stirring it will
make mud if you leave it on and turned up to high. I always use standard
mode and set mine to seven which they tell me will make 20 ppm. I never have
a color or settleing out with even that high of a ppm. I also use a one
gallon sun tea jar as a brewing vessel, it has a spigot on the side to
decant the product. You can cut slots in the lid to keep your electrodes
spaced right and the same for each batch.
Dave