on the CS list for pets, there was a few posts about giving a specific type
of beer to dogs to stop all parasitic worms--you must have the Irish
imported Guinness with the black label on the bottle.  not extra stout, but
a different name which I can't remember right now.  the dose rate was 1
ounce of beer to 25 pounds of dog.  it was allowed to set out so that it
became flat (so it didn't make gas in the dog) and then it could either be
given directly as a drink or poured over food.  it was also said to cure
ehrichisis (sp).  it is given once, and then 2 weeks later given again.
after that it is given once a month.

in the case of heartworms, the dog is checked in 2 months for worms in the
filia stage, and if found, then the original dose (twice the first month)
was given again.

it kills the parasites by being seen as food by them, so they don't reject
it, or send out poison trying to get the dog to stop taking it (like
medicine does) but it makes them sterile so they can't reproduce.  it is
said to work on all but whip worms, if I remember right.

since ehrichisis comes from ticks, we were also told the beer helped control
that disease.  the lady that posted these messages is no longer on the
group, I think--at least she hasn't posted for a long time.  but if you join
the group you can go back and read the original messages about this.

samala,
Renee