Using warm water [under 120 deg F] and making a small batch [8 oz]... will speed it up at first and as the water cools, it will circulate, then with the cooled water being less conductive, will help prevent "runaway"..as will keeping the electrodes as far apart as possible, especially towards the end.

Larger batches cool off much faster than the time it takes to "cook", lessening thermal convection stirring when it's needed the most towards the end of the run.

If you place an incandescent desk lamp very close to one side [for the little bit of heat differential]...that will stir the water the whole time..or paint one side of the container black and run it in the sun.

Oede