Shipping over seas isn't all that expensive if you don't use UPS and it's rare that small packages are opened or if valued under $20, taxed heavily if at all. UPS "custom" customs facilities are very fast, but cost the receiver a fortune that no one on the senders end knows you will pay.

USPS "Green Forms" with cheap 1st Class /Air Mail are easy, descriptions can be vague and generalized and good for anything under 4 pounds and $400..reasonably fast and, so far, quite as reliable as the destination countries postal service. ..no tracking or insurance, but in 10 years of using it [and no shipping license], maybe one lost box.

Any doubts? Make the package look personal and generic...like a gift to a friend. For light compact items, it's inexpensive......about the same as Coast to Coast Priority Mail in the USA

For 6 ounces to Australia: [About as far as a package can go without heading back] <http://ircalc.usps.gov/MailServices.aspx?country=10013&m=2&p=0&o=6#>First-Class MailĀ® International Large Envelope*
Maximum Value for Contents: $400.00
<javascript:AddLgEnvCharacteristics();>First-Class Mail International Package prices apply to Large Envelopes that are rigid, nonrectangular, or not uniformly thick.
Max. length 15", height 12" or thickness 3/4"

$5.44

Same price to the UK.

 Carolina to California via Priority Mail:
<http://postcalc.usps.gov/MailServices.aspx?m=1&p=0&o=6&dz=90210&oz=27330&pob=0&MailingDate=12/6/2010&MailingTime=8:00%20AM#>Priority MailĀ®
 $5.55

Hint: Never make a bureaucrat try to think.
If a description is short, vague, hand written and barely legible, it likely won't even be read.
The mundane in appearance, gets mundane approval.

Ode

At 01:46 PM 12/4/2010 +0000, you wrote:
Thanks Tel.  dee