Thanks for this info Ode and it tallies with what I was thinking.  I've never
understood how I can get supplements from iHerb which is in California right
over the other side of the US--for $4 when other places much, much closer
charge far more than the cost of the actual product being ordered.  I have
never lost a package using this method.  dee

On 5 Dec 2010, at 11:18, Ode Coyote wrote:

>  Shipping over seas isn't all that expensive if you don't use UPS and it's
> rare that small packages are opened or if valued under $20, taxed heavily if
> at all.
> UPS "custom" customs facilities are very fast, but cost the receiver a
> fortune that no one on the senders end knows you will pay.
>
> USPS "Green Forms" with cheap 1st Class /Air Mail are easy, descriptions can
> be vague and generalized and good for anything under 4 pounds and
> $400..reasonably fast and, so far, quite as reliable as the destination
> countries postal service.
> ..no tracking or insurance, but in 10 years of using it [and no shipping
> license], maybe one lost box.
>
> Any doubts?  Make the package look personal and generic...like a gift to a
> friend.
> For light compact items, it's inexpensive......about the same as Coast to
> Coast Priority Mail in the USA
>

> For 6 ounces to Australia: [About as far as a package can go without heading
> back]
> <http://ircalc.usps.gov/MailServices.aspx?country=10013&m=2&p=0&o=6#>First-Class
>  MailĀ® International Large Envelope*
> Maximum Value for Contents: $400.00
> <javascript:AddLgEnvCharacteristics();>First-Class Mail International Package
> prices apply to Large Envelopes that are rigid, nonrectangular, or not
> uniformly thick.
> Max. length 15", height 12" or thickness 3/4"
>
> $5.44
>
> Same price to the UK.

Archives: